In 2005 the Texas Commission on Jail Standards (TCJS) performed a Facility Needs Analysis on the Wichita County Jail. Some of the highlights in this document from 12 years ago:
- Wichita County currently operates at or above their current female capacity
- the age and limited size of the intake and processing area could become costly for the county to maintain and staff intensive to operate
- More specifically we recommend:
- choose a site sufficient for growth
- design a jail that is truly expandable
- provide adequate service and support space in the initial design to allow for future expansion
In the past 12 years, the age and limited size of the intake and processing area, along with associated maintenance and staffing, has not changed. Nothing has addressed the fact that it is “not sufficient for a 625 bed jail.” None of the other items TCJS identified have resolved themselves either.
You can read the entire document below.
Download (PDF, 2.01MB)
The Wichita County Jail will be changing visitation hours on January 30, 2017. Effective that date, both jail facilities will offer visitation from 8 AM until 8 PM. Sign-up for visitation will end at 7:00 PM.
- Last names starting with A through L visitation is on Tuesday.
- Last names starting with M through Z visitation is on Wednesday.
- Inmates in Solitary or on Keep Separate List visitation is on Thursday.
There will be NO VISITATION on January 30th, 2017. The first visitation period under the new policy will be on Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
… to house an inmate?
Having been asked several times this month how much it costs to hold an inmate in jail, I thought this would be a good time to put a broad view of the costs out there for the public. It’s completely reasonable for this number to be available to the taxpayers that pay those costs. Continue reading
The chart below depicts the daily population numbers for the Wichita County Jail for the first three months of 2014. As always, information on currently incarcerated individuals may be found here. So far, the maximum population this year for the jail was 520 while the lowest number of people in jail is 454.