1. Tax Sales are held the first Tuesday of the month between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on the court house steps on the south side of the building. The address is 900 7th Street, Wichita Falls, TX. 76301
2. The Sheriff’s Office, The Tax Office nor the Tax Attorney’s Office prints out a list of properties to be sold. A list is posted on the bulletin board on the hallway outside the Sheriff’s Office and on the second floor bulletin board for viewing. These are not to be taken from the bulletin boards. Properties for sale are published in a newspaper publication for 3 consecutive weeks prior to sale. Properties in Wichita Falls, Burkburnett, Kamay and Electra are published in the Electra Star News. Properties in Iowa Park are published in the Iowa Park Leader. These newspapers are published each Thursday. You also may get obtain information by going to the tax attorney’s website at www.pbfcm.com .
3. All sales are without warranty of any kind. Purchasers receive a Sheriff’s deed that is without warranty. Bidders should satisfy themselves concerning title, location and improvements on the property including any encroachments and bio-hazards prior to bidding. The tax sale is an “as is”, “where is”, “buyer beware” sale. If you have any questions about specific liens or ownership of the property, you may research the title yourself or through a title company. The Sheriff’s Office, Tax Office and Tax Attorney’s Office will not do the research for you. The judgments in these cases list the parties included in the tax suit.
4. If you wish to bid on a particular piece of property at the sale, you must first sign in. The Sign-In-Sheet is passed around the morning of the sale for those wishing to bid on properties. We do not accept sealed, internet or phone bids.
5. A minimum bid will be given at the beginning of the sale of each property. Please do not call the Sheriff’s Office, Tax Office or the Tax Attorney’s office requesting the minimum bid, as the information WILL NOT be released and could change prior to the sale.
6. The successful bidder of a piece of property will need to be at the front desk of the Sheriff’s Office by 3:00 p.m. to pay If the successful bidder fails to show up in time to make his/her payment, we will go back on the courthouse steps and re-auction the property. PAYMENT MUST BE EITHER CASHIER’S CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. NO CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Once payment is received, the bidder will be issued a receipt for payment. PLEASE DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT.
7. The successful bidder will need to go to the Wichita Co. Tax Office at 600 Scott St., and obtain a Tax Certificate showing that they don’t owe taxes. This certificate will be sent to the Tax Attorney’s Office prior to a deed being filed.
8. The tax attorney’s office will prepare the deed which is WITHOUT warranty. Once the Sheriff’s Office receives the deeds, they will be signed, and then sent back to the Tax Attorney’s Office for filing and distribution. This could take anywhere from 3-6 weeks.
9. The Deed is filed in the County Clerk’s Office by the Tax Attorney’s office.